Monday 10 October 2016

Mary Francis Heaton

For a couple of days a week I work for an Arts Project in a Mental Health Trust. Last week I went to see the Bedlam exhibition at the Wellcome Institute in London as I am always interested in mental health matters. I am not going to review the exhibition but if you are near Kings Cross it is worth walking up the road to see the free exhibition which features 4 embroidered  letters by so called mad woman Mary Francis Heaton in 1852. Stitching words was the only way she could be heard. Very powerful work.

Also went to see We are Human at the SouthBank Centre. This is the annual Koestler Trust exhibition and I was pleased to see three pieces by patients I work with displayed. If you are interested in Outside Art then this work created by people in secure settings is always a worth a look. Just along the Embankment  from Tate Modern.

No comments:

Post a Comment